Spatial Business Rules Solutions
A company uses a powerful GIS system, but it needs to give their subject matter experts an ability to define various spatial business rules when distance between customers and suppliers regions may affect decisions. Their business rules deal with such concepts as Airports, Hospitals, HRR (Hospital Referral Region) and HSA (Hospital Service Area), and others. Here are examples of business rules that specify the Spatial Significance Score (SSS) of the considered situations:
- If HRR has at least 5 HSAs in it increase SSS by 2
- If HRR has fewer than 5 HSAs in it decrease SSS by 1
- If HRR overlaps at least two Counties increase SSS by 1
- If HRR contains HSA within 5 km increase SSS by 2
- If HRR touches HSA increase SSS by 1
- If at least one hospital is within 5 km from the Airport increase SSS by 5
- If there are between 5 and 15 Hospitals within 25 km of the Airport increase SSS by 3
- If HRR is among 25 closest to Hospital increase SSS by 1
- If no Hospital is within 10 km from the Airport increase SSS by 1
- If more than 1200 Residences within 15 km from the Hospital increase SSS by 2
- If Facility is part of University increase SSS by 1
What mechanism would you offer to business users for creation and maintenance of similar spatial rules without becoming experts in the GIS API? How DMN-like decision tables may look like to cover these business rules?
Send your solutions to DecisionManagementCommunity@gmail.com.
Note. The above rules have been extracted from this DecisionCAMP-2014 presentation.